Constitutional Libertarianism

Constitutional Libertarianism

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Being libertarian is not being A Libertarian

There is much discussion as to the definition of libertarian.  The problem is that, while well intended, most of that discussion is wrong.  As in, incorrect.

Being libertarian is not an affiliation with a political party.  In fact, I disdain all political parties.  Why?  Primarily because political parties seem to participate in mob rule.  Indeed, the running joke of the Libertarian Party is that it wants to take over the world to leave everyone alone.  The problem is, its not a joke and they would not leave everyone alone.

Most people think being libertarian is about the practice and exercise of individual rights and liberty.  That is only half of it and unfortunately, it is the least important half.  Individual responsibility is the whole othervhalfvand indeed it is the more important.

Individual responsibility is directly and inexorably tied into individual freedom and liberty.  It wholly encompasses those.  In fact, you cannot have them without individual responsibility.

Each person has a responsibility to see to our means of living.  We have a responsibility to see to our health and ability to stay healthy in order to make a living.  We each have a responsibility to our immediate family as we are the reason, at least in part, that family exists or are a direct result of that family being created.

I have the right to keep and bear arms because I have a responsibility to protect, defend, and sustain myself and my family.

I have the right to freedom of speech because I have a responsibility to communicate my needs and be informed enough to make decisions for myself and my family.

Do you see where this is going?  I am an individual, I exist not at the will or whim of any government, social or religious group or any other individual.  They do not bear the responsibility for me or my life therefore cannot interfere or infringe upon my right and abilities to do for myself that which I determine needs to be done.

Society is not the reason or source of my life nor does it bear the responsibility for me.  I bear the responsibility for my life.  The only "Greater Good", if there be any at all, is that which enables, upholds, and defends the liberty, rights, and freedoms of the individual to meet their individual responsibilities as they themselves determine them.

There are far too many self described "libertarians" who focus on having rights and freedoms but do not exercise the responsibility for which those rights and freedoms exist to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment