Constitutional Libertarianism

Constitutional Libertarianism

Monday, May 15, 2017

The hidden "I" in Libertarian

I'm seeing a lot of things posted online by people referring to themselves as "Libertarians".  A lot of calling out of others, heavy handed criticisms and outright verbal attacks.

There are some people who love to push the line of liberty, especially as related to the first amendment.  I also note how frequently these criticisms and verbal attacks focus on groups of people and generalities.

My fellow libertarians, those who concentrate on individual application of libertarian philosophy, I ask you to consider a few things before engaging in vitriolic character assassination.

Being a person focused on libertarian philosophy, our objective is to first and foremost focus on how libertarian principles are able to be applied by ourself.  I am much more concerned with how I am able to be and do with myself in my life before I get involved with how others go about their own ways.

Before I go off on another person, especially for what they do as part of a group, I want to get an idea of what they as a person, an individual, are dealing with.

It's easy to say, "All politicians are crooks.", or "All soldiers are jack-booted thugs."  That does such a huge injustice to the individuals represented in those associations though.  I do not believe"all" politicians are crooks.  I do not believe "all" soldiers are thugs, jack-booted or otherwise.

If I am going make it public that I am libertarian, then it behooves me to understand the other individuals around me.  Not just by their associations, but by their own individual thoughts and actions.

We risk, in being hasty to demonize and call out those we disagree with, losing sight of the individual themself.  What is their situation?  Are they being coerced, misguided, oblivious, etc...?

We don't know until we talk to each individual.  It's easy to get caught up in gross characterizations.  As libertarian minded people, we are obliged to consider each individual first.

Lashing out at other people without considering their individual positions only puts people on the immediate defensive.  It's hard enough to carry on meaningful and respectful discourse as it is.  Putting people on the defensive makes it nearly impossible.

It's fine to be critical.  It's fine to call out injustice and wrongdoing.  It ill serves us to make things personal and hide behind libertarianism as though it makes all things right.  Being libertarian does not mean we can be offensive with some moral superiority stick shoved up our ass.

Everyone is an individual.  Everyone has the natural right to be seen and treated as an individual.  These are the things that I want and know.  It's only reasonable that every other person says "I want", "I think", "I feel", etc... and has the right to be recognized as an individual.

I don't come down on politicians.  I criticize that person who is a politician.  I don't call out military service people or veterans.  I call out a person who is a military service person or veteran.

There is a difference and it is well worth the effort to respect others individuality as we want our own individuality respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment