Constitutional Libertarianism

Constitutional Libertarianism

Monday, October 17, 2011

Talking and Do-ing, the problem with protesting in America.

I do believe protesting needs an upgrade.

If you want to make a dent in corporate America's wallet, then you have to do it first, then talk about it.

For example, the people moaning and groaning about not being able to carry  protest signs and cameras in groups into a business shouldn't be surprised.

As much as you have a right to communicate your position, people have a right to not have their business cluttered or have their property transgressed on.

Leaving ethics out of the discussion for the moment, legally speaking, your right to communicate ends where my right to defend my property and well being begin.  If you came into my store with protest signs, cameras and making a fuss, I'd kick you out to.  I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone and I am a sole proprietor, not incorporated.

You want to come in and do business, fine come in, sensibly, respectfully and let's do business.  You want to close your account with my business because you don't like my policies?  Fine, go right ahead.  It's a free country we're still told, so close you're accounts.  It's part of the business world to lose customers and get more customers.   I shouldn't be shocked.

You want to go outside on public property and crow to your buddies and anyone who'll listen about your accomplishment and your problem, nothing I can do there, but in my shop, on my time, you will follow my rules as long as they are within the law.

Now personally and ethically, I am so far distanced from their so called "one percent" it's not funny.

I can tell you this though,  if I am in a conflict and I want to get what's mine,  I just go get it. 

I have had a problem with a bank before, a few of them, and wanted to close my accounts because I thought they treated customers like crap.

You know what I did?   I walked in, by myself, stood in line, got to the clerk and said "I need a complete withdrawal, I am closing my account."  When they asked me why,  I said I didn't like my experience with their business and I was going to another bank.   I wouldn't elaborate,  I wouldn't argue,  I wouldn't allow them to do anything more than complete the transaction.  Then I left.

After the fact,  I told everyone I knew and even a few others within earshot what I did and what I thought of those banks.

I do believe that a few of the people I told did also close their accounts as well.

Now, if you want to coordinate with a large group of others and really make a statement, what I would do is get online and coordinate as many people as I could to form a single, quiet line at the bank on the same day at the same time.  no posters, no noise and chatter.  then one by one, go to the clerk and close the account in full.  Next person, same thing.  Next person, same thing, etc..etc...etc...

Go down a block or wherever  I got my permit for a public gathering on public property and stage a "Survivors Site" where people could go to share their stories of dis-satisfaction and ad their name to a lareg board or wall counting the number of people who have just closed their accounts at that bank.

Make a celebration of it.  A victory party.  Don't sit there and be negative and harass people.  Give concrete examples and present what you did as a positive, successful thing.  Invite the press, pass out cookies or something else that seems celebratory, as well as flyers and such.

That will get a lot more attention and recruits and make the publicity go a mile further at the same time.

That's what I would do if  I wanted to get back what was mine and stick it to "da man" at the same time.

Get the job done first and brag about it afterward, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment