Constitutional Libertarianism

Constitutional Libertarianism

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Religion and Government.

One of the hot button topics we all hear is the so called "separation of church and state".

While I agree one hundred percent that the government has no business at all telling people what religious or spiritual pursuits they should or should not follow,  I am annoyed by the extremes some people try to take this discussion.

First of all,  I agree with the notion of "freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion". 

Whether we like it or not, whether we agree with it or not, the reality is that most of the people in the United States of America are some sort of christian.  They have the large majority and that does count for a lot.

One of the greatest things introduced into our Constitution and governmental mind in general is that we do not let the majority run roughshod over the minorities. 

Supposedly, we are supposed to say "Whoa, hey there big guy.  You may have the most votes here, but that doesn't mean you can just do anything you want."

It's good to protect minorities.  What is a minority in this context?  That would be a group of citizens who are not among the larger recognized group of citizens.

That could mean racial minorities.  Like if the population of the United States is 20 million caucasian people and 5 million native americans, the native americans represent fewer votes totally so are considered a minority.

It could mean that 40 million people here are christians and 10 million are other, not christian participants.  Now we have a religious minority.

I expect a lot more things to go the way of the majority of people.  It's the American way.  Majority vote wins.

The thing I count on the Constitution for is that when all the christians want to vote for something along their beliefs, They can't really enforce it on non-christians if it will force a change of religion.

For example, if all the christians organized and wanted to make a law that everyone must attend church on the weekend.  Sorry, can't do that.  The Constitution says they can't force me to do something religious if it conflicts with my own religious beliefs.  if  I don't believe in churches or have a need for them, well, nice try christians, but, not gonna happen.

Does that mean if all the christians want to let everyone have a holiday for a day that has religious meaning to them that I should automatically oppose it? 

Well,  I have to ask myself, am I being forced to observe their religious activity?  No, then what do I care?  Do I have to close my store down to observe their religious day?  No I don't.  Will I get a lot of customers that day?  Probably not, but that's what one expects living somewhere you are outnumbered by christians.

What about Christmas though, isn't that a christian holiday that the government takes  off?  Yes it is, BUT, Christmas has also become a social holiday.  A day that for those not christian, has come to share a lot of the same values.  Regardless of religion, very few people disagree with the idea of peace and goodwill to all and stopping to think of others for just one day. 

I am not a christian.  As long as the Constitution continues to protect me from being forced to do things christian or mandating I become a christian, or are wasting my tax dollars for something specifically doing those things,  I have to live with  and accept the fact that I am in the minority here and be truly glad that our government keeps me from being run flat by the majority

No comments:

Post a Comment