Constitutional Libertarianism

Constitutional Libertarianism

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Individual rights versus personal choices

A little black girl isn't 'comfortable' with her hair.  so daddy had a new muppett made to run around on Sesame Street to show everyone that it's ok for little black girls to have different hair.

Some cross dressers and halfway done transsexuals don't feel comfortable with using either the men's or womens' bathrooms in public places, so they want the government to force businesses to build 'unisex' bathrooms to make them more comfortable.

People from other countries who don't speak English aren't comfortable taking drivers license tests in English.  So, many cities offer the testing in Spanish and other languages now.  Forget that the traffic signs and street signs are all in English anyway.

I realize this is America.  Individualism is supposed to be recognized and respected.  However,  I think we are taking things a bit too far anymore with demanding that everyone needs to conform to one particular persons or specific groups wants or comfort levels.

One city is considering changing their local discrimination law to include discrimination against gay, trans-gender and cross dressing persons.

What?

You know, I run my own business.   I pay for everything in terms of materials, supplies, equipment, advertising, everything.  I put all my time, effort and energy into my business and  I have ways that  I want my business run.  I have my own ideas of how my business is represented to the public.

If Joe Somebody wants to wear women's clothes in his own time, that's fine.  Knock yourself out.  If he wants to wear women's clothes at work, then he better think again if he works at my business. 

If he wants to wear women's clothes while he does the type of work he would do for me, then perhaps he should start his own business, like I did, to do things the way he wants things to be done.  Like I did.

Men in women's clothes, women in men's clothes, men wanting to be women, women wanting to be men, and everything else associated with all that, is personal.  Things you do on you own time, in your own place.

If you want to be a woman walking down the street dressed like a guy, be my guest.  I am telling you right now people, you are free to express yourself, we have laws already existing that protect that.

However, people need to stop trying to force acceptance of their individual choices on others.  I have a right to my own opinion and I can like or not like, agree or disagree, with anything I choose.  Just as you have the right to do and think as you choose, for the most part.

No,  I do not "need" to accept or approve of anyone's chosen lifestyle or personal issues.  Trying to force me to have to accept your fetish for the other genders clothes and behavior is tantamount to telling me I am not free to express my own opinions or values anymore in deference to yours.

Should I fire someone just because they like to dress up or engage in relations in a way different than I?  Of course not, as long as it's on your own time.  When you are working for me, you are on my time, representing my business.

If you come to work in a way that  I don't think helps my business or is distracting and to the other workers or is not what I think represents my business the way I intend my business to be represented,  I should have every right to run my business as I see fit and ask you to leave or terminate your employment.  I don't run my business to you can make your personal whims public.

I also have the right, or should, to hire who I decide will best work and represent my business, not who the gov't tells me they want me to hire.  If the gov't wants that person to have a job, they should hire them.

I speak English and can speak enough Spanish to get by.   I often listen to Mexican music, in Spanish, at home, in my car, wherever I am, on my own time. When I am working for someone else and  I can listen to music,  I ask if playing my Mexican music is ok at work.  If it is great, if not,  I respect that.  It's not my company,  I just work there.

I don't impose my personal choices and preferences on others in a place that's not mine.   I also know where I live and work.  If I take on a job over in Iitaly,  I would fully expect them to expect me to speak italian over there.  After all,  Iam in Italy, not the U.S. or even Engalnd where English is the priamry language.

I don't expect to walk into China and demand that they give me a drivers license test in English knowing that the traffic signs and all other public communication is in Chinese.  That would be stupid and rude of me.

Individual rights and freedoms are NOT the same thing as individual wants and wishes.

People and the government are getting them confused and it needs to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment