Constitutional Libertarianism

Constitutional Libertarianism

Thursday, July 1, 2010

American Expectations

What do we expect from each other as Americans?

Should we have expectations of others? The Constitution says we should.

As Americans, we expect to have others respect our rights and freedoms as we are expected to respect them for other Americans.

What does that mean though, in day to day life?

It means that we should mind our own business, make sure we are getting our own lives taken care of before we go looking at someone elses life.

That doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye from our neighbors when they are in danger, only that we need to make sure we are doing the best we can with our own lives before turning to others.

It means we should expect to stand together to defend these rights and freedoms EVERY TIME an American is at risk of having those rights violated. We are only guaranteed these rights and freedoms so long as we are willing to make sure all Americans have them.

I expect Americans to remember that our rights stop where the next persons start. Just because I have the right to pursue happiness, doesn't mean I have the right to deprive you of your right to life or liberty. I expect Americans to respect that just as they want me to respect it when it is turned in their direction.

As Americans, the Constitution isn't just some super document, it is a reflection of us. It is only as strong as we are willing to support it. When we decide that the rights and freedoms in the Constitution are only for certain people and that others are to be denied due to class, race, education, gender, political ideas, etc... then the Constitution is meaningless.

I expect other Americans to stand up and fight for the Constitution. To remember all the people who struggled, fought and died to make it a Constitution for ALL Americans. It has been a long, ugly, bloody path we as Americans have traveled to see that All Americans are protected by the Constitution. We have seen rascism, civil war, classism, attacks from within by those who would over throw the Constitution only to gain power for a group of people instead of all people.

We must expect each other to remember the ugly times in this country's past to keep working and ensure that those obstacles are not laid on any Americans, all Americans, ever again.

I have lived my life enjoying the rights and freedoms the Constitution provides. I will do whatever I must to make sure my children, and your children, have the same opportunity, even if it means I must fight or die.

I expect the same from every other American. You can expect it from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment